This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Self-registration problem when re-installing ODBC object

3 replies to this topic

ronang

ronang
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 14:31

My project (ISPro 6.30) uses the ODBC3.51 object.
Installing it works fine (my DSNs are registered)
Uninstalling works fine (my DSNs are unregistered)
But when I run the setup again to re-install my application, I get the error message:
"Self-registration error
The following files did not self-register:
msdaps.dll
msdatt.dll
oledb32.dll
One of the library files needed tor un this application cannot be found."

I then get the same message for msdasql.dll.

My DSNs are registered anyway and my app seems to work fine with ODBC.

Bizarrely, this only happens on SOME systems (seen on NT4 SP3 and W98).

Has anybody seen this before? What went wrong and how do I fix it?

lasenbby

lasenbby
  • Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 21:31

Are you rebooting after the install AND uninstall?

ronang

ronang
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 10:19

Yes.
I installed my app (the setup didn't ask for a reboot, but I rebooted anyway)
I uninstalled it (again, the setup didn't ask for a reboot, but I rebooted anyway)
I re-installed it. No reboot was required. I saw the errors mentioned in the previous post.

As I wrote, this only happens on a few systems. Could it be related to the ODBC version installed?

lasenbby

lasenbby
  • Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 15:11

Not sure.  The direction I would go with it is to find what is missing.  Did the files that had reg problems register after the reboot?  I think that I would seach down what is missing.  You can use depends (not my favorite program but will give you the files that are linked) to find what is missing.  Verify that atleast the specified versions are on the machine.  May need to check before and after the observed problem.  May want to "dir /s /b> a.out" in the system dir before you uninstall and after to a2.out then diff them to see what is different.

And don't rule out that it is an IS problem...  I have searched for days to find out that IS had the bug.  May want to check out the bug list before you begin debugging.