This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

SharedDll wrong on one machine only

1 reply to this topic

GaryFx

GaryFx
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 23:14

The tech writer on my team has a problem with the help file being left behind when unininstalling our kit. I've gone on to his system, discovered that the SharedDll entry for the file on his machine was wrong, deleted the entry from the registry, and then tried again. That is, I did an installation and immediately did an uninstall, without running anything from the product directory. It still didn't work, and the SharedDll was fishy again.

I've tried this on some other systems, including a clean VMWare virtual machine running XP Pro, and it works fine. So I don't think the problem is with the kit, though I'm not positive. So I'm wondering if there's a possibility that because this is the tech writer's machine, and he uses HTML Help Workshop to create the help file in the first place is influencing things. I've done a full registry search, and while there are other entries with this file name, the only one for which the full path is in the Program Files directory is the SharedDll file.

The other strangeness is that I have this help file in a component of its own, associated with two different features. It's set as Shared (in the InstallShield GUI). When I install on a clean system, I wind up with a ref count of 1, even though both features have been installed. So this makes me wonder if the problem isn't something else.

Many thanks,

Gary

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:14

Did you also delete the file (not just the Shared count) before you ran the test? You may also want to try MsiZAP to make sure there's no component registration left behind.