This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

error 1642 applying a patch

3 replies to this topic

Kike Izquierdo

Kike Izquierdo
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 13:03

I created a patch to 5.02.01.0003 from 5.02.00.0001 (major upgrader) with Patch Design and it applied fine.

Now I create another patch to 5.02.00.0004 from 5.02.00.0001 (major uprader) but it doesn´t apply. I obtain the error 1642 - ERROR_PATCH_TARGET_NOT_FOUND.

I tried generating the patch combining the values of the settings "Version Relationship" and "Version to Check" of Previous Setups with the values of the settings "Allow Product Version Differ", but I always obtain the error 1642.

Any idea??

Thanks!
Kike.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:26

When upgrading, Windows Installer only looks at the first three fields of the Productersion, ignoring the fourth field. So to Windows installer 5.02.00.0004 and 5.02.00.0001 are the same version number. But for a Major Upgrade it is required to increment the version number. Change your version number to 5.02.01.x to avoid this problem.

Kike Izquierdo

Kike Izquierdo
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 16:43

I know that Windows Installer only recognizes changes in the first three parts.
However, when I apply the MSI v4.02.00.0004 over v4.02.00.0001, everything is successfull. But, when I do it in patchs, it is not.

When I generated these patches, I put the value "Do Not Check Versions" in the "Version Check" property of the Previous Setups. I also tested with others values of "Version Check" and the result was same.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:12

Quote from the documentation: "At least one of the three fields of ProductVersion must change for an upgrade using the Upgrade table." (Major Upgrades use the Upgrade table).
So in my understanding it is not guaranteed to work the way you do it. It may work sometimes "by accident".

Another quote from the documentation: "The recommended method of applying a major upgrade by installing the full package for the updated product."

So I'd recommend either shipping the Major Upgrade as full msi package, or switch to a Small or Minor Update if you want to ship a msp (but then you must follow the Component upgrade rules).