This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Silent Install

5 replies to this topic

Smriti

Smriti
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 12:07

Hi,

I want to know how to silently install any program using command line.The folder has msi file and a set up file.If I use the setup.exe \r or \s parameters nothing happens.Just that the instaler launches and I have to manually install/uninstall.The \r option does not create the .ssh file also.The msiexec \qn also does not work.It gives an error message that "Incorrect command line parameters. Windows installer V 2.00.2600.1106"
Please let me know how to solve the problem.

Thanks much,
Smriti

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 11:39

Not all setups support silent install. Setups created with Installshield, however, have built-in features for silent installation:

Installscript MSI
If it is an installscript MSI you need to run setup.exe /r first to get the setup.iss file necessary for silent install. You will find this file in the windows folder after running the whole setup with the /r option. Then you have to install the setup silently by specifying something like: Setup.exe /s /f1"C:\Temp\Setup.iss"

Basic MSI
A basic MSI is a real windows installer setup. It features built in support for silent install by specifying the /qn option at install time. Something like Setup.exe /s /v/qn or msiexec.exe /i install.msi /qn

Older Installshield setup types generally support the creation of setup.iss files as explained above for Installscript MSI.

Edited by Glytzhkof, 29 October 2004 - 11:39.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 11:40

See here: http://documentation..._EXECmdLine.htm
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Smriti

Smriti
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 11:45

Hey thanks for your reply.I will try these options and let you know the details.
Thanks,
Smriti

Smriti

Smriti
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 13:37

Hi,
The Setup.exe /s or /r /f1 dont seem to work.The file is not getting created in the specified folder. Also nothing happens with msiexec \i option also.is there any other way or any way to know if the installer supports silent installation.
Thanks in advance,
Smriti

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 14:38

Please note that / and \ are not the same!
Can you launch the .msi file by double clicking it? If that works then msiexec.exe /i install.msi /qn should work as well (replace install.msi with the full path and file name of your msi file)