This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

RemoveExistingProducts seeks full msi package

3 replies to this topic

Penseleit

Penseleit
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 22:44

Our Installer package runs the RemoveExistingProducts Action at the end of a Major Upgrade.

However, it seems to require the full msi package of the previous version with files embedded, rather than just using the bare msi of the previous version as cached in C:\Windows\Installer.

Why is this?

Our package has multiple embedded small executables in the binary table, which run during the install, but shouldn't these be embedded in the cached version in C:\Windows\Installer?

Does the RemoveExistingProducts Action need to unpack other files from within the full msi package which it may potentially use during the install, even though it won't use them during the uninstall?

Unsure. Would appreciate an explanation.

Peter

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:36

Does the same happen if you just uninstall the old version from Add/Remove Programs control panel, or is the problem specific to a Major Upgrade? Do you have the proper conditions on any ResolveSource action in the old version to make sure it doesn't run during uninstall?

Penseleit

Penseleit
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 11:50

Thanks, I think you have solved the problem for me.
I had not noticed a ResolveSource action in my InstallExecuteSequence.

I did not have any condition on it so that it is not performed during an uninstall.

I will try this and hopefully this will fix the problem

Thanks again

Penseleit

Penseleit
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:03

Further reading has led me to believe that that my last post is not the best way to go.

If the ResolveSource action is included this means that it will ALWAYS try to resolve source, except for any conditions I put on it.

By the way, My installer template did not inlcude ResolveSource in any of my MSIs, so no wonder I wasn't aware of it.

MS KnowledgeBase Article ID : 268800 (Q268800)

"When you apply a patch for an existing program that was installed with the Windows Installer, you may be prompted for the source files from the original installation. You are prompted to provide the source files from the original disk even if they are not needed for the actual patch."

"Being prompted for the source when no files are being reinstalled is due to a bug in the Windows Installer patching algorithm."
This is for MSIs before version 2 so they say.

I am inclined to believe that they still have a bug, because none of the conditions they cite where this behaviour will occur in Version 2.0 MSI applies to my MSI, yet I still get the prompt for the original source files!!

Not happy Jan!!

Edited by Penseleit, 25 July 2005 - 02:04.