This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallShield's Investigation Results

2 replies to this topic

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 August 2001 - 15:47

InstallShield engineers have examined a hard drive that exposed this error with IS 6.1, and here are the results:

In the case of the hard drive in question, they were not able to reproduce the error with a setup built with 6.2x or 6.3x, only with a setup built with 6.1, so with regard to this particular instance of this error, they believe it to be a 6.0x and 6.1x issue only. (There may be other causes that are still a problem, please post here if you have any reproducible cases with 6.3x.)

Note that this error is related to the version of InstallShield that was used to build the setup, so having the latest engine files will not solve the problem.

It is also possible to solve this problem by updating the registry of the system in question:

Note: This was determined by trial and error and is not documented by MS and involves updating the registry. Follow these steps:

1.  Open the "Regedt32.exe" registry editor (This is the NT 3.51 style editor).

2.  Locate the key "HKLM\\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders".

This key should contain (at least) the following values:

Common Desktop
Common Programs
Common Startup
Common Start Menu

If any of these values are missing or point to an invalid path, the 6.1x installer will fail to initialize properly.

Note that there is also a "Shell Folders" key, updating the values under this key does not seem to have any effect, the values are automatically copied from "User Shell Folders" when Windows starts up.

3.  If any of these values need to be added, add them as type 'REGSZ_EXPAND', and specify a valid folder location for the value data, then restart Windows.

4.  To verify the change, check the "Shell Folders" key after reboot the equivalent values should point to a valid folder.

6.1x setups should then run properly.

ronstrong

ronstrong
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 17:11

This suggestion is getting to the crux of the problem - I think.

I have now managed to install applications that I had not previously been able to install. I think there is still some work to be done on the issue but this is a usable workaround - if you understand the registry or system policies.

Our NT4 server based network has this problem with W2K terminals. Basically I have set up common shared shell items which alters the key you have described.

I used the System Policy Editor to set this up in the first place so have used it to change the settings. I have found that if you change some of the settings it allows programs to be installed (but your carefully designed setup may not work, so keep a record of the old values if you need to change back).

Instead of changing the policy on all machines - connect to the policy editor. Connect to the computer you need to alter, open local computer, windows NT Shell.

Under this item there is the Custom Shared Folders setting I find if you make sure all the boxes are ticked and the settings used are as follows the problem goes away.

Program Folder
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs
Desktop Icons
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\
Start Menu
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\
Startup Folder
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\

This seems to work.

SSJ4Gokou

SSJ4Gokou
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2002 - 02:41

i'm running windows xp pro and i've installed the sims and now im trying to install the sim livin' large and when it gets to the INSTALLSHIELD i get an error
Error extracting support files: Server execution failed.
y is that?