This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

change product name with minor upgrade

4 replies to this topic

agustina_s

agustina_s
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 10:16

Hi..

Is it possible to change product name with minor upgrade?

I want to change my product name from DIVTTransmit to COREL Media Transmit.
However all other files are the same. The exe file is the same. The installation folder is the same as well.

I changed the Name in product properties to COREL Media Transmit.
And then I built the release.
However it gives me this error:
ISDEV : error Val0007: The MSI package name for the most recent setup 'COREL Media Transmit.msi' differs from the MSI package name of the previous setup 'DIVTTransmit.msi'. Small/Minor upgrades require that the package name remain the same. D:\Copy of Projects\VTPhone\Install\InstallShield\DIVTT Master\Single EXE\Release 1.0.3.0002\DiskImages\DISK1\COREL Media Transmit.msi.

Is there anyway to solve this error.
I have seen the installshield help error for val0007
http://helpnet.insta...io9/Val0007.htm

It is said
Corrective Action
This is a limitation of the Windows Installer service.
The only recourse here is to give you MSI packages the same name

What is that mean?
Because actually the installer will create a setup.exe file regardless of the product name instead of creating msi package.

I really need your help and suggestion.
Thank you in advanced.
Regards

Agustina

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 09:46

By default InstallShield uses the product name as the name of the .msi file. Your change of the product name caused a change of the .msi file name, which is not allowed for a minor update.
(BTW: you day the install diretctory is unchanged, so it doesn't include the product name?)
You can specify the setup file name in the release settings, but I'm not sure this will aplly to the .msi file if you build a single exe.
As an alternative you could create a major upgrade, i.e. change the product code, to avoid the problem.

agustina_s

agustina_s
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 17:23

I tried to do major upgrade.

My latest version with the new product name is 1.0.3.0002

It build successfully when I upgrade from version
1.0.2.0001 or
to 1.0.3.0002

However when I upgrade from 1.0.3.0001 to 1.0.3.0002, it fails to remove the old shortcut and program in the Add/Remove program menu.

So instead of having the new shortcut, I get two shortcut at the desktop and Add/Remove program.

Is there any way to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot Stefan

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 18:41

Looks like your major upgrade is not working properly then. Are you using the same upgrade code for all of them? Did you populate the version entries in Upgrade table properly? Did you generate a log of the upgrade to find out what's going on?

agustina_s

agustina_s
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 10:58

Problem solved.
This is because for major upgrade the Basic MSI proj only check the first 3 version changes.

Thanks a lot Stefan