This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Silent Install from CD and setup.log

4 replies to this topic

DenMori

DenMori
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 16:04

I have created a series of InstallScript install kits (using ISPro 11) and have created the setup.iss for each one. The group I did this for has its own installation launcher (home-grown) that successfully fires the executables with the /s /f1 /z command-line arguments. The issue I am faced with is InstallShield's insistence on trying to write the setup.log to the directory where the installer was launched from. If this were on a fixed drive or writable network drive, it isn't an issue, but on a CD the installs just start and stop.

I know that the /f2 parameter can be used to force the log elsewhere--however, the desire is to not have to "hard-code" the path and name of the file to somewhere like C:\Temp or C:\Windows (not all our target systems have TEMP off of C, and some target systems are still Windows NT), or to somehow re-direct the creation of the log to another location during OnBegin. My installers check a registry key to set the location of <TARGETDIR>.

This is holding up the QA group from doing acceptance testing, so a prompt response would be most welcome.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 00:47

Not sure I understand this question, but could you use standard windows expandable paths?: "%TEMP%\MyPath\Install.log"
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

DenMori

DenMori
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 15:06

I tried your suggestion, it does not work. The only way I can get it work is to use a path that already exists. One would think I should be able to use an environment variable or an IS Identifier (such as <SUPPORTDIR> or <TARGETDIR>).

But I guess that's asking too much wink.gif

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 06:50

Can't you just create yourself a new folder under %TEMP% and write to it? Something like:

set LOGDIR=%TEMP%\Test
set LOGFILE=%LOGDIR%\TheAppName.LOG

mkdir "%LOGDIR%"

start /wait setup.exe -s -SMS -f1"PATHTOWHEREVERTHEISSFILEIS" -f2"%LOGDIR%\TheAppName.LOG"

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

DenMori

DenMori
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 16:06

I attempted to try /f2"%TEMP%\setup.log" in my command-line parameters, but the setup did not work when run from CD.

It appears to function ok if I launch the setup from Start/Run with the command-line parameters, but we have a setup launcher that uses an INI file to feed the individual setup kits the proper command-line arguments. I have verified the syntax of the command-line arguments, and have verified that I have a TEMP environment variable that points to a valid path.

Does anyone have any ideas???