This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Best media type to ensure reliable patching?

4 replies to this topic

pk78scout

pk78scout
  • Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 21:10

I have had trouble choosing a media type that will ensure reliable patching in future. I would like for users to run installation from CDROM or web, but not have to have the original msi stuff on their local harddrive. Then, when I distribute patch I want to avoid "msi can't find table or maybe its a different version" dialog.

Currently I build CDROM image with cab files and msi table and force user to unzip them to local folder on harddrive, thus ensuring msi can always find original msi stuff to patch against. But this seems archaic, and a waste of space!!

What is the most reliable media type so that I can distribute from web and CDROM and safely apply patches.

Users should not have to go hunt down CDROM in order to apply a patch.

Thanks very much,
pk78scout

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:32

Aside from patching, the original source media will also be needed for repair operations. So it is a good idea to store the file on the user's hard disk. Disk space is often cheaper than the trouble and support costs generated by missing source media. You can have setup.exe store the file so your users don't have to manually unzip the package.

pk78scout

pk78scout
  • Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 13:51

Does that mean users could potentially delete the source media from hard drive and then Add/Remove programs would never be able to remove and repair the application, or is remove handled separately?

Also, does setup.exe extract files "behind the scenes" anyway? People can apply Windows service packs without having any idea where original Windows OS source media is! Incidentally, I tried using setup.exe over a year ago but I got weird dialogs from InstallShield if the setup.exe needed to install windows installer first, then reboot, then resume installation. Installshield reported a cryptic error that really didn't mean much anyway. So, distributing "naked" source media outside of a setup.exe solved that problem.

Would it be better to NOT include the windows installer setup inside by own setup and let users handle the windows installer setup externally? Then perhaps I could just package as single "setup.exe".

I sincerely appreciate your reply - it's nice to get positive feedback that I may actually be doing something right. Thanks!

-pk78scout

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 17:33

Does that mean users could potentially delete the source media from hard drive and then Add/Remove programs would never be able to remove and repair the application, or is remove handled separately?

No, Windows Installer keeps a separate copy of the .msi file (without any of your application files) in its own cahce (which is an invisible directory). That should suffice for uninstallation. But for repair and sometimes also for patch install Windows Installer needs access to the application files in your setup package, too.
Also, does setup.exe extract files "behind the scenes" anyway?
If you ship your setup as a single (self-extracting) setup.exe then the files will be extracted to the temp fiolder and the install runs from there. You can switch that option to extraczt to a permanent location instead and not delete the extracted files after the install is complete.

pk78scout

pk78scout
  • Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 13:27

Thanks very much for your help.

Have a good day,
pk78scout