This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Modifying string table during upgrades

2 replies to this topic

aarthi_m

aarthi_m
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:38

Can i modify a string between 2 versions of a product? Say, version 1 of the product has a string, can i modify that string in version 1.1?

Considering that the product is supported in many languages and service packs should be available for upgardes, will the service pack fail if a string gets changed?

Asking this because, all the strings go into the transforms(.mst) and not in the msi. The installer only compares the msi files between 2 versions to generate a service pack. So, where will the string change be stored in the service pack?

Gareth at Serif

Gareth at Serif
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:08

I don't know how you're creating patches, but I perform an admin extraction of two packages and build an MSP as a result of comparing the two... in which case the MST is taken into account and that string (property I assume) will get updated. I've done it a number of times.

Regards,
Gareth

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:15

Cant you just add another string to the new install?