This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minor Upgrade key file version error val0010

5 replies to this topic

niborex

niborex
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 18:49

I am trying to create an upgrade installation. One of my EXE files has changed. When I run the new setup.exe, it says it is updating but the new file is not applied.

If I run the upgrade validator it gives a VAL0010 error on the file in question. This indicates a key file version problem. For the purposes of discussion, the original version was 1.1.0.1 and the new version is now 1.1.1.0.

If I manually override the file version to 1.2.0.0 (basically upgrading the minor release component number), then it will install correctly. However, this is not desirable since I don't consider the changes to be minor release changes, just a bug fix.

So, any ideas on why this does not work?

Ideally I would really like the installer to just reinstall everything regardless of versions, but I cannot seem to get that to work either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks - Dave

Using InstallShield X Premier SP1

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 09:33

Is that exe file marked as the key path of your component (int he old and in the new version)? Can you post the full error message?

niborex

niborex
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 21:28

Thanks for the reply Stefan!

Here is what is in the validation results log.

Validator: Val0010
Severity: Note
Message: The data in component 'PEC.exe2' differs from the previous setup. However, this component will not reinstall in an upgrade scenario. Therefore, the changes will not be applied to the target system during the upgrade. Table: 'MsiAssemblyName' Record: 'PEC.exe2;Version;1.1.12.2043'
Ref. Pkg: c:\docume~1\dlane\locals~1\temp\13b\niborex portable electronic copilot desktop.msi

Validator: Val0010
Severity: Note
Message: The data in component 'PEC.exe2' differs from the previous setup. However, this component will not reinstall in an upgrade scenario. Therefore, the changes will not be applied to the target system during the upgrade. Table: 'MsiAssemblyName' Record: 'PEC.exe2;FileVersion;1.1.12.2043'
Ref. Pkg: c:\docume~1\dlane\locals~1\temp\13b\niborex portable electronic copilot desktop.msi

It looks like it appears twice, but there is a slight difference in the wording when the verison is listed (Version vs. FileVersion).

Also, it is a key file in both versions.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 11:42

Are you installing this assembly to the GAC? It may actually be a problem in the way that assemblies are updated, not really an MSI issue.

niborex

niborex
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 06:26

No, just the normal EXE file is what is failing. There is more in the MSI, but not relevant. My concern is primarily the EXE.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 09:56

But the validation messages indicate that the exe is actually an assembly (an exe developed with the .NET Framework), not a Win32 exe. Is this correct?
What's the real version of the old file, and what't the real version of the new file? Please give the real versions, no simplifications "for the purposes of discussion".
Is the file marked as the key file of this component?
Is the component set to "extract .NET Properties"?