This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installer starts randomly

2 replies to this topic

nrw

nrw
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:56

Hello,

I'm using InstallShield Developer 7.0. I inherited a few projects that I'm updating on and off. Especially at the beginning I ran into a particularly disgusting problem: The installer of the programs would often start for no apparent reason in various contexts, and then close itself.

For example, this would happen when opening an .ism that has this problem with InstallShield Developer, and then clicking on "Organize Your Setup" for the first time. This would cause a window saying "Preparing to install program XXX ..." (where XXX is the program whose very installer I'm editing!!!) to pop up and disappear.

Sometimes the problem also occured when executing an application installed by such a broken installer, and now it reportedly even occurs when executing unrelated applications.

My question is this: Has anyone else observed this phenomenon, and what sort of bug in my installer would cause it? Almost all of the installers I'm maintaining work well, but some of the ones I touched at first are broken, so I'm thinking this may be a problem in my changes. On the other hand, this is such a warped problem that maybe it could be an InstallShield bug... but in any case I'd like to know how to fix it.

Thanks!

Edited by nrw, 19 October 2006 - 10:57.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:35

This problem is so common that we have a FAQ article:
Windows Installer launches unexpectedly, for no obvious reason

nrw

nrw
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 13:20

Hi Stefan,

many thanks for your help, this FAQ looks great!