This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Best project type for a frame/main setup?

1 reply to this topic

hrms

hrms
  • Full Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 16:36

I need to create an installation program which is split in several modules (different IS projects).
There has to be a frame/main setup which provides the user a GUI and allows him to choose several options. This main setup then has to launch several MSI projects that have to be run in unattended mode. The main setup shall be a setup.exe, but I'm free to choose the IS project type.

Now my question: Which project type is the best one for the main/frame setup?

Shall I use a Basic MSI project or a pure InstallScript project? As far as I know it is simpler to launch the MSI packages from the InstallScript project (no running Windows Installer so far -> no concurrent installation problem), but then I would mix different project types.

What is recommended? What are important advantages/disadvantages of the two project types?

If launching the MSIs from a MSI main setup, which method is recommended to launch the MSIs?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:42

In general I'd recommend InstallScript. Mixing the project types in this form shouldn't be a problem.