This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

GetValidDrivesList and Vista

5 replies to this topic

Blackdog

Blackdog
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 23:32

I have an existing IS 6.3 project that has a function that obtains the list of Fixed and Remote drives. I then interrogate that list looking for specific folders and files and present the user with the first drive letter in AskDestDrive that meets those requirements.

I am testing on Vista but I don't think this problem is exclusive to Vista. I have a laptop and am running my IS Setup from a mapped drive (Z:) and there are actually other remote drives that meet the validation requirements. The list does not get populated and when that happens I present the user with a message. This message comes up without presenting any drive letters. This IS project has always worked before, but doesn't seem to work on Vista.

I can not think of any reason why it would not work. I know IS 6.3 is not Visa compatable, but don't see why this command would not work.

When I debug, is there a way to view the list of drives while I am interrogating them? Is there a way to get a list of what drives this function is using as I process to END_OF_LIST?

Any ideas to help me figure out why GetValidDrivesList may not work correctly? Evidently it does not recognize the Z drive in my case.

Blackdog

Blackdog
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 23:40

I found a way to go thru the list and use Messagebox to display the drive letters.
I inserted this code before I go thru the list. Once that message display of drives reaches End_of_File, how do I reset the list to go thru it again, this time for my regular code processing?

Blackdog

Blackdog
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 16:03

Additional information:

I modified the script to go thru the list of fixed and remote drives and display the drive letter in a messagebox. When run on my WinXp Pro machine I get my hard drive and 7 remote network drives. When I run the script on my Vista laptop (using wireless connection), I only get the hard drive of the machine (C:). It does not recognize the remote networked drives? Anybody have any information on Vista concerning this?

Blackdog

Blackdog
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 16:56

Additional Information
My experience seems to indicate Vista will only make network drives available when you select them (have a red X on them when first brought up in Explorer). Seems the default action is that the network drives are only available after they are invoked. I can not seem to invoke them and have them remain accessable after shut downs or reboots.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 18:25

Did you try with wired LAN? This might be a security measure for WLAN connections.

Blackdog

Blackdog
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 15:51

I have not tried wired. I may be able to try it in the near future. Thanks for the suggestion. Right now, our support team is being briefed on the possibility of needing to select the network drive that is needed. We expect very few (currently being told to not upgrade when asking) of our users to be on Vista, but we have to test for it.