This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Register TLB files

1 reply to this topic

AntonS

AntonS
  • Full Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:57

Hello!

I work with Automation Interface and Basic MSI Project.

The recommended method for installing self-registering files with Windows Installer is to write the registration information to the MSI database tables (Class, ProgId, TypeLib, and others). Instead of marking a file as self-registering, you can use the component's advanced settings, extract the COM information at build time, or extract the COM information when you add a file in the 'Files and Folders' view in order to register the ProgIDs, type libraries, and so on.

Can I extract this COM information with Automation Interface?

Usually, when I need to register TLB file, I set property of ISWIFile object:

CODE
ISWIFile.SelfRegister = True

After that I can find records in ISSelfreg table, but there is no records in TypeLib table of Windows Installer database.

What is more suitable approach to register TLB files with InstallShield X Automation Interface?

Sincerely your,
Anton Spitsyn
http://www.installsite.ru

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 10:35

When you set the self register flag the file will be passed to regsvr32.exe during installation, OR in case of a local server passed servername.exe /regserver (the latter being an Installshield specific feature I think, while the first is native windows installer). When you call self register like this nothing is written into your installation database at build time. To change this use COM extract at build. PS: I think the TLB files are merely library files, the real COM info is embedded in the corresponding EXE file, at least normally.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul