This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Configurable Merge Modules Break Component Rules ?

2 replies to this topic

skycat

skycat
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 13:50

Given a merge module with a configurable destination folder.

If this project is included in two separate applications with different destination folders it seems to me that component rules are broken.

Yet the GDIPlus merge module from Microsoft uses this technique.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this fits together ?

Rick

Rick
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 16:40

I have come up with the same conclusion. Specifically, if you include a merge module in your installer build, and you set the destination for the merge module to anything other than a constant value (e.b. common files, system, etc.) then you are breaking one of the component rules.

Unfortunately we have already shipped products where we set the target of the merge module to [INSTALLDIR]. Now we are trying to upgrade some products and this is causing us some trouble.

Can anyone else comment on this? Stefan?

Rick

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 17:13

This is always a problematic issue with merge modules. I would actually tend to agree with you that the component referencing will be messed up. If all I need is to make a local copy of a file in the installation directory, I just add it manually and then target the merge module to the system folder. This is because I don't want to drag MSI bugs from Microsoft into my package that might affect me when I get to packaging patches. Keep it simple folks - nothing works the way it is supposed to. It is OK to break the rules as long as you avoid problems, but only then :-).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul