This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Extract MSI file from setup.exe

12 replies to this topic

aglenwright

aglenwright
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 07:29

This is a bit off-topic, but there isn't really a category for this one...

Does anyone know how to read the .MSI file from inside a single-file install (setup.exe) created with Installshield?  I can open the setup.exe with WinRAR, which reports it as "SFX CAB archive", but the only files I can see seem to be the msi runtimes, not the actual .MSI file or the files that are to be installed...

aglenwright

aglenwright
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 07:30

PS:  It's so I can write a program to create a "build" report...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 18:50

You could launch the setup and grab the extracted contents from the tmep directory. Or yu perform an administrative install which will unpack all the files to a location you specify.

aglenwright

aglenwright
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 January 2002 - 00:37

I was having a bit of trouble finding the command-line switches to do that  - do you have them handy?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 January 2002 - 15:51

msiexec.exe /a your.msi
(you may need to specify the full path to your.msi)

aglenwright

aglenwright
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 10:55

No, the file I'm trying to deal with is a setup.exe (thats it, no MSI file), created by ISWI 2.0x - it contains an MSI file somewhere in it's guts, but I can't figure out how to get at it.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 January 2002 - 22:48

Oh, sorry.
setup.exe /a
should do it

jsp

jsp
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 18:24

I am not sure this will work, stefan.
I would have tried Setup.exe /V"/a"
Hope this helps.
JSP

aglenwright

aglenwright
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 23:34

When I try setup /V"/a" I get a "Incorrect command line parameters" error message.

When I try setup /a, it does (sort of) work, but asks the user for a destination path.  I was after an automatic way of doing it - preferably "silent" (no UI).

jsp

jsp
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 10:52

I understood you were using a setup.exe then contains the entire setup package copressed in it.
If this is the case, it works. And if you want to perform it in blind, try: setup.exe /s /V"/a /q"
If you are not in compressed mode, just launch msiexec with the command line parameters that are described in the documentation.
JSP

aglenwright

aglenwright
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 11:08

I pasted the command you put - setup.exe /s /V"/a /q" into the command prompt, and still got "Incorrect command line parameters".  The caption on the dialog box was "Windows Installer".

The setup.exe is one that contains the entire setup package compressed in it...  It was created with ISWI 2.0

aglenwright

aglenwright
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 11:15

The platform SDK documentation says that the /a parameter requires "Package" as an argument.  Would that be the package code GUID?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 February 2002 - 08:56

I assume we are talking about a setup that is packaged into a single self extracting exe with InstallShield. Therefore the setup.exe command line parameters can be looked up in the InstallShield docs. From the top of my head I would try setup.exe /s /a

If you use the /a option with msiexec (instead of InstallShield's setup.exe) you should specify the path to the msi file.