This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

COM registration, ALLUSERS=1

3 replies to this topic

vanbeek

vanbeek
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 16:50

Using InstallShield for Windows Installer 2.03, Windows 2000 SP2

My install contains several COM-components and can only be installed with administrative privileges and for all users. All works well for the user who installed the program. However the first time another user activates the program, the msi is started. The MSI is started for each COM component in my install. Cancelling the the msi does give the user full functionality of the COM component.
Why does the MSI think it needs to redo the installation for each user when I have specified ALLUSERS=1? And how do I prevent it from doing this?

Some additional information;
All COM-components register without error when using regsvr. The above behavior happens with both 'Extract at Build' and with when the COM
information is extracted through the component manager.

Scott Williams

Scott Williams
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 17:45

Is InstallShield using the SelfReg table?

From the Platform SDK:
If multiple users are using a self-registered application on the same computer, each user must install the application the first time they run it. Otherwise the installer cannot easily determine that the proper HKCU registry keys exist.

This is a bullet point on why you should not use the SelfReg table, but I don't know if it applies to your situation, sounds like it though.

vanbeek

vanbeek
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2001 - 22:21

Ai, my mistake. Each COM-component had some (seperate) HKCU registry keys associated with it.