This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

File types - No open action command

7 replies to this topic

scott matthews2

scott matthews2
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 15:30

I have an install that has previous worked in a Windows 98, NT, 2000 environment.  After the installation has completed, I can start my application by double-clicking on a file (.frm extention).

Now, double-clicking on a ".frm" does not work for NT only.  The only change made was to lengthen the command needed to open this ".frm" file.

When I look in My Computer/View/Folder Options/File Types and look at the open command for NT, it is blank.  In Windows 98 & 2000, it has the long command needed to double-click on the file.  The command is 170 charaters long.

When I try and paste the command here by hand after the install, it seems to take the entire command initially, but when I go back into the file types area, it has chopped the file at 130 characters.

Has anyone run across this.  I suspect this may be a Windows NT issue since the install works for Win98 & 2000.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have on this.

scott matthews2

scott matthews2
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 15:56

I have run additional tests:

If I select a "destination/target" directory that has a short path name Ex: ABC vs. "Program files\...... , this install is able to work because the open action command is then shortened to less than 130 character.  I can then double-click on the file name in My Computer and have it launch my application.

Again this only occurs in Windows NT, not on Win98 or Win2000.

Can anyone suggest a work that is NOT a batch file solution.
i.e. I know I can put the long command in a "go.bat" file, but that brings up other issues that I do not like.

Thanks for your help.

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 16:04

What about using the short path instead of "C:\Program files\ .... "?
This might save some letters, so you won't get more than 130.

scott matthews2

scott matthews2
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 16:53

Yes.  I can do this, but this is not a vaiable solution.  I need the user to be able to install the software in any location they want.

lasenbby

lasenbby
  • Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 20:00

What about like the other recent post using %YourVar%\yourpgm.exe?

scott matthews2

scott matthews2
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 21:27

If I could get the %YourVar% to work in the other posting, I would be solve here also.

scott matthews2

scott matthews2
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 December 2001 - 15:34

FYI: I turned in an "incident" with Microsoft.  The response I got back is summarized in my own words:

This is a known limitation in NT.  There is no workaround for large commands.

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 December 2001 - 17:19

Scott, the idea of the "short path" suggestion was to ask the user for the path, using LongPathToShortPath to shorten it and then writing it into the icon properties ...
This would help you in the case that the directory names are long. If the directory structure is that complex that many  subdirectories are used, you still have this limitation.