This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

check a component's condition in modify mode

6 replies to this topic

cooki

cooki
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 13:32

in my setup i have language dependent components.
In the interface i let the user check languages. i tied a public property to each checkbox and i added these properties to SecureCustomProperties so that the installer takes their updated value into account while the

For the first install it works. in modify mode, i want to allow the user to change installed languages, so i show him the same dialog. But there the components' conditions seem not to be taken into account, since the components of deselected languages stay and components of added languages are not installed.

I know that if i made a sub-feature per language, it would solve it, but i have 5 features where there are language dependent components, and 14 languages. So it would make create 14x5 sub-features, and each one would have only 1 component. this would be as using a hammer to kill a fly.

if i force a reinstall of features where are language dependent components, will it work, and will it need source even if i just remove languages?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 09:32

Installshield has a "Reevaluate condition flag" that you can set on a component basis. I have never tried it, but maybe it is what you need.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

cooki

cooki
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 09:34

It is indeed a part of necessary things to do for a reinstall, but it works only for a reinstall.
That means i have to make a reinstall for features where i have language dependent components if i want to change languages duribg a modify!

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 11:55

Maybe you could move these files to a separate feature and then set the REINSTALL property on the click event for the modify dialog where you are setting the change. Might not work, but worth a try.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

cooki

cooki
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 16:40

thats exactly what i said i would do. I forgot to say this morning but it works that way!

So for those interested, a resume:
- gather language-dependent components in a feature
- activate "reevaluate condition" for those components
- set property "REINSTALL=Feature1,Feature2,..." to force the conditions to be reevaluated while the Modify.

PS: beware of the "ReinstallModeText" Property to ensure it will do the right things.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 06:00

The "ReinstallModeText" Property is named REINSTALLMODE and it defines how files are to be updated. I assume you are using REINSTALLMODE=amus.

Components are only installed as part of features, and if you don't reinstall the feature, component conditions are not evaluated. Components = Developer view, Features = User view. So the golden rule is: install / reinstall / modify always happens at the feature level.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

mayur

mayur
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 13:28

Hi,

This problem is becoz while installing msi It marked the component to be installed regrdless of whether component are really installed or not.

to check again condition during maintenance mode keep Transitive condition checked for all language component.