This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Files: Use system settings?!

2 replies to this topic

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 12:22

Hi all,

Has anyone figured out the real meaning of the checkbox "Use system settings" in the file properties dialog? (This dialog is available for every file in a component, right-click with mouse, choose Properties).

I want to install some BPLs (a Delphi kind of DLL), and want to mark them as Vital. The BPL is changed in every version, and so is its version number.

Now: If I check "Use system settings", I cannot change any property, if I clear "Use system settings", I can change every property, except size.

If I build in ISWI 1.52, with "Use system settings" checked, I get:
- Read-only, Hidden, Vital and System are turned off (checked with Orca)
- Version, Languages, and Size are OK.

If I build in ISWI 1.52, with "Use system settings" cleared, I get:
- Read-only, Hidden, Vital and System are set as requested
- Version, Languages, and Size are all wrong (they describe the properties of an older version)

Note that if I install such a build, where "Use system settings" is cleared, I get the right file. But the bad version number is a real problem, it breaks upgrading, even major upgrades. Feature sizes are broken too.

I want to mark the BPL as Vital, Hidden, and System, but I don't want to update the setting for every (daily) build.
How can I achieve this?

Thanks,
Zweitze

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 02:48

The Use System Settings tries to obtain the file informatino from the file. If you want to specify your own information (like companion file, fake version etc), then you have to uncheck this box and change the information that you require.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 09:27

Thanks
Companion files... never thought of that.

I did some more tests, in case you're interested:

If you clear the "use system settings" box, ISWI enters the data (hidden, system, vital, version number) as set into the Files table. Further, the file size property in the Files table is the size of the original file (in my case over two years old) in the table.

I solved the problem by checking "use system files", and writing a small program that updates the Files table after building the MSI.