This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Multiple shortcuts to one exe with args?

3 replies to this topic

Anthony Hughes

Anthony Hughes
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 10:22

I'm trying to add (conditional) advertised shortcuts to my application which set different command line parameters - the only way I can see to do it is to create a component for each shortcut.

However, adding the executable to each of these as the key file so that the shortcut can be advertised adds a new copy of the exe to the install.

Because the exe is 5Mb in size, this quickly bloats the resultant .MSI - Is there a better way of doing this?

Cheers
Anthony

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 12:14

Maybe create all the shortcuts (in one component), then delete the unwanted?

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 14:37

If you are only displaying a single shortcut in the end then the easiest way of setting your arguments to a property eg.  "[MYARGS]"  The argument field is a formatted type so you can get file paths etc.

If you want to display multiple shortcuts then you should create multiple features and a single  component.  Include the same component in each feature.

The target of an advertised shortcut is the feature name.

So far so good.  This is easy to do with ORCA but looks to be impossible with ISWI.   So you need to 1) write a little program to add the shorcuts to your msi file after it it is built ISWI or alternately 2) build the shortcut table at runtime with a custom action.