This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Critical Components

6 replies to this topic

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 26 November 2001 - 18:11

I have a critical component in my install.  If that item is unselected, I am currently displaying a message upon hitting Next from the Custom Setup dialog.

I was wondering if it would be possible to display this message upon the actual deselection.  Please let me know and thanks in advance.

The reason I ask is because I thought that I'd seen this behavior with other installs, but it may just have been you couldn't continue until you manually re-selected these components.  I know how one would go about doing the latter.

Blake Miller Wonder

Blake Miller Wonder
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 19:22

Not to be too critical, but if that item is so important, why do you let the user see it at all?  We have critical components in our installs, and they are hidden from the user so that he can not ever deselect them.

lasenbby

lasenbby
  • Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 20:03

I agree with BMW, however, the way they are doing what you describe is to use a custom scriptfor the dialog.  And for some of the dialogs, you can't get the premade script (from IS 5.x) so you would have to write it yourself.  Some of the dialogs contain things that are non-typical.  Might want to check out the utility on this site that allows you to do component tree manipulation (as a start) if that is the route you are going.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 November 2001 - 01:08

Yeah, I know.  I thought about hiding it.  I'd rather not thought 'cause it's the main program files applied during an update, so taking it out kind of makes it look less signficant.

I'm using one of the standard dialogs and rather not have to mess with too much customization, so I'll probably just leave it as is.

Thanks for the replies though.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 November 2001 - 10:56

What you could do is create an invisible dummy component that would always be selected, and add your critical component to the "required components" field of the dummy component. This will make the critical component selected and disabled (i.e. users can't unselect it)

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 November 2001 - 15:01

That's sneaky Stefan.  I like it. =)

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 November 2001 - 15:22

That did the trick.  I just had to do it in the reverse order--add the required one and then make the dummy invisible.  Otherwise all of the components were grayed out when I went to make the one required.