This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

cab files management

2 replies to this topic

DenisB

DenisB
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 11:29

Could anybody show how to replace a file in a MSI project Cab file using a VBS or "C" program ?
An example will be welcome
Thanks everybody

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 04:32

I think that this is a really complex task, and im not if it can be done. You will probaly need to get hold of the msi sdk (inside the Windows SDK) and look at the cabSDK, and the samples.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 09:55

If the files are stored in a CAB file outside the MSI file, you could try to open the cab files in a compression tool such as WinZip and then try to replace the file there. Can't guarantee that it would work as I have never tried it.

If the files are embedded in the MSI file, you could make an admin image of the setup using setup.exe /a at the command line. Then you could replace the extracted file and run the setup.

As I said I have never tried this, and it could be that MSI is smart enough to realize that the file found on disk does not match the file the MSI wants to install (there are file hash values in some MSI files, and the file version is also stored in there).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul