This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Can't set reg key to "shared"

2 replies to this topic

ScottMorrow

ScottMorrow
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 16:10

ISP 6.3 and 6.31 - According to HELP, one can set registry keys to SHARED to ensure any keys to which sub-keys are added by other applications will not get removed during uninstall.

We set the keys to SHARED as per IS documentation. The "sharing hand" appears under the reg key folder. Save the project, exit, then re-open the project, the reg keys are no longer displayed as "shared". Displaying the key properties also shows the key as being unshared.

After setting keys to SHARED, build the project and install the app using the newly created setup.exe. Install another application which shares one of the shared registry keys. Uninstall the original application - All keys are removed completely, without regard for the fact that new sub-keys and values had been inserted or modified by other setups afterwards.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? It would appear to be a bug in IS 6.3 and 6.31 (especially the fact that it won't save the SHARED setting at all...) but perhaps there is a workaround or patch to solve this?

Thanks for any assistance

Becky Nichols

Becky Nichols
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 February 2002 - 15:06

Hi Scott,

I have not run into this issue.  Once I choose the "Shared" button, save my project and close it, they remain shared when it is reopened.  I have IS 6.31

I do work in a Clear Case environment and for the "save" to take place the Default.rge file must be able to be written to.  If it was read-only, I would get the behavior you are describing.

Becky

ScottMorrow

ScottMorrow
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2002 - 17:24

Hi Becky,

Thanks for the response... I checked the Default.rge file & it's not set to "Read Only", so I'm at a loss as to why IS won't save the "Shared" setting. Unfortunately, we're running this particular build in a Win95 environment, so that may be part of the problem.

I have discovered (with your help) that I can MANUALLY change the "Shared" entry from "No" to "Yes" within the registry Default.rge file, and all appears to work as advertised. Not exactly the best way to solve the problem, but it works & that's what's important! :-)

Thanks again for your help. We'll keep an eye on this & see if we can narrow down why we can't set "Shared" from within IS. itself. (Btw, we've tried both IS 6.3 and 6.31 - Same results..