This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install on Terminal Server

2 replies to this topic

Barbara

Barbara
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:02

I have to do the following task:
1. Install software on a terminal server, but without all the special user defined links and shortcuts.
2. Then when a user makes a remote connection he should be able to install all its shortcuts and links when he likes to use the program. The user is not an administrator.

My question: I think a non administrator can not install via a TS remote session, is it possible to start a transform when he logs on which gives him its shortcuts ?
How is this handled on the terminal server: Does the installation go into the maintenance mode and therefore, is it possible to apply a transform ?

I think of the following scenario:
1. Admin installs the software on Terminal Server. How must he publish it ?
2. User logs in and decides to use the software: He clicks an button and gets its shortcuts. How to resolve this with MSI ? What should an administrator do, if he dont want the user to use this software ?

Are there some special tricks one can do on a terminal server to solve this problem ?

Thank you

Barbara
The difference between theory and practice is larger in practice than in the theory.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 23:56

As far as I know setups should be installed for all users on terminal server - and this is by design. Remote users cannot run any kind of windows installer operations: not install, not repair, not modify, not self-repair.

As far as I have understood all per-user data should be added by the application itself, and not by the setup.

Note that HKCU entries added from an installation while the server is install mode will be propagated to all users on next logon. I have not been able to do the same for per-user files.

In essence installations on terminal server is a completely different animal than regular installations.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Zardoz

Zardoz
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 21:33

You should add all shortcuts to All Users.

If you need to install files per-use then create a vbscript to create/copy the files during logon, and using a machine-based group policy or AD policy, run the script as a machine logon script.