This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallShield silent setup hangs

9 replies to this topic

Roadhawk

Roadhawk
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 15:27

Hello,

I'm trying to deploy Logitech MouseWare v9.78 in a Windows2K Active Directory environment. Software is always installed with MSI by Software Policies.

The setup for LMW (Logitech MouseWare) is created with InstallShield and has version 6.31.100.1190. LMW can't be snapshotted by Wise Package Studio or another tool because it installs drivers. I've created an iss-file for a silent setup. From within a MSI I use a custom action which runs this silent setup with my custom-made iss-file. (Note: A silent install suppresses the driver signing dialogs.)

But in some rare cases this silent setup hangs. One case I've solved but the second case is still under investigation.

Case 1: Remaining runonce-keys with 'setup.exe' caused the setup to halt. An InstallShield setup runs 'runonce -r' (initiated by IKernel.exe) which executes all runonce-keys. Setup.exe can't be started twice. I've solved this by backing up the runonce-keys and later restore them.

Case 2: Setup.exe hangs occasionally, and the machine is dead (which the message: installing managed software...). In this case I've noticed that IKernel.exe hasn't run runonce.exe. Very important detail (I think): McAfee is running... (3 services: AVSync Manager, McShield and NAI ePolicy Orchestrator Agent). Due to the fact that McAfee is running on each system I can't see a solution yet, because it doesn't always happen.

I've tried all possible solutions from InstallShield's KB Q104985, but none was helpfull. Has anybody an idea?

Best regards.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 09:38

Does it work if you turn off McAfee?

Roadhawk

Roadhawk
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 10:19

Thanks for your reaction.

I've tried to degrade the McAfee-datfiles (ok), and then to install Logitech MouseWare (by W2K Active Directory). Results: my computer hang, test succeeded smile.gif

I found out that naimas32.exe (NAI ePolicy Orchestrator Agent) is running mcupdate.exe (McAfee Updater Program), which starts lwi.exe (McAfee Lightweight Installer) when the dat-files are not up-to-date. (By the way; AutoUpdate and AutoUpgrade in the VirusScan Console are not configured in this situation.)

Some logging by ePo:
2004-01-22 15:49:17: Agent: Scheduler: Invoking task [Startup Auto-Update]...
2004-01-22 15:49:17: Agent: Executing task for McAfee VirusScan...
(no more...)

My setup.exe started at 15:48:47, and didn't finish

So if your McAfee dat-files are up-to-date everything works ok. I'm now trying NOT to disable the virusscanner, but to update the scanner before the MouseWare installation, if that fails, I'll disable McAfee.

Roadhawk

Roadhawk
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 12:49

Currently implementing:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\McUpdate\mcupdate.exe" /TASK UPDATE /QUIET

Roadhawk

Roadhawk
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 11:04

ePo is really a pain in the ass. I've forced an update of McAfee and disabled all McAfee services but in some cases the silent setup still hangs, and no McAfee process is active at that time...

I'm now looking for a way not to use InstallShield's setup.exe...

Roadhawk

Roadhawk
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 17:41

Finally done!

I've got rid of the setup.exe from InstallShield. Because the software included device drivers I was forced to use this method; but not anymore...!

1) I've created a snapshot of the installation.
2) Removed all device driver related files (.sys, cat, pnf, oem*.inf etc) from the Windows directory...
3) Created a tool in Delphi which installs the driver for me (!YES!)
4) Created a custom action which performs the driver installation with that tool.

The Delphi-tool includes two very important functions from the Windows DDK: SetupCopyOEMInf (SetupApi.dll) and UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices (NewDev.dll). The first one pre-installs a driver when no hardware found for a specific class, and the second updates the device with the new driver...

This tool works with EVERY Hardware Device! (not printers btw)
If you're interested in the tool wih source see: http://www.f1-report.nl/download/

Best regards :-)

r_amse_s

r_amse_s
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 23:50

anyone that has the source code from roadhawk ?

thx a lot!

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 14:36

You don't need it. Roadhawk's assertion that you can't use Wise or InstallShield for drivers isn't strictly correct. Google for 'DifXApp' or DPInst. One will be suitable for your purposes. Also, check out the links on this page.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

r_amse_s

r_amse_s
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 20:01

thx for the info but i need to have full control over the driver installation process and the source code from the roadhawk would be still VERY helpful to me!
i don't use an installer and for sure no commercial installer...

or somebody that can advice me how to implement this in delphi?

1. call SetupAddToSourceListA (is this step really necessary?)
2. call SetupCopyOEMInfA

very important to me is to find the correct params for these functions.

any help will be really appreciated!

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:46

To get the Delphi parameter lists:

Look on the Internet for the "Jedi Project" or something like that. Among these projects is a Win32 SDK conversion project. It contains about 100 Delphi .pas files.
That project is no longer maintained (I think), but the functions you're looking for are there.

Edit - here is the URL, you need Win32API.zip
http://www.delphi-je...apilibrary.html

Edited by Zweitze, 09 September 2008 - 09:49.