This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Major Upgrade Headaches (again)

2 replies to this topic

MikeBergman

MikeBergman
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 23:32

I should mention that I am using MSI 2.0 and I am prototyping basic msi projects using InstallShield Developer 7.0.2. I am running on Windows 2000 Pro.

I decided to go back and create a small installation of four components and then I built a major upgrade installation to replace two of the components.

I changed component codes for all four components in the Major Upgrade Installation, I changed the ProductCode and the PackageCode (I always change the package code, anyway). I incremented the build version of the components I could.

I installed the first application called T1.
Then I installed the second application called T2.

While the second installation replaced the components it was suppose to, I still have T1 and T2 registered in the add/remove programs control panel. I would have thought that T2 would replace T1. Is that expectation wrong?

I have included the log files for both installations if anyone can point me in the right direction on this.

thanks.

Michael Bergman
LumenVox LLC

mandy

mandy
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 21:31

I know it's been a while, but I'll answer anyway.

I haven't seen your log files, but did you populate your "Upgrade" table? Otherwise the installer service has no way of knowing that your two MSIs are related to one another.

Why did you change the component codes? If the files have the same name as the previous versions and install to the same folder, you shouldn't.

_nick_

_nick_
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 17:19

A major upgrade is generally only needed when the versions can be installed side by side (i.e. it is possible for Version 1.x to be installed and Version 2.x to be installed in listed in the Add/Remove programs table). Why can't you do a minor upgrade without changing the product code?