This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Merge Module dependencies

3 replies to this topic

Matthias1967

Matthias1967
  • Full Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:49

Hello,

I am creating a merge module that needs some Microsoft DLLs (e.g. MFC) which are available as merge modules. So I listed those needed merge modules as dependencies of my merge module.

In the Basic MSI project (IS12) that uses my merge module, the required modules are checked with grey background, and when I select one of those required modules, the lower half of the view shows the same feature checked to which I have connected my module.

When I build my MSI project, the required modules are merged in, their components can be seen in the MSI, but they are not linked to any feature, and installation ignores those components!

What do I have to do in addition in order to have those third-party modules not only packed into my MSI, but also installed?

Regards,

Matthias

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:08

Sounds like a bug. Did you try this in a newer version of InstallShield (to see if it might be fixed)?

Matthias1967

Matthias1967
  • Full Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:24

No I did not. Neither have I found anything about this topic in the InstallShield KB so far. I already thought about some central settings I might have missed...

In the Basic MSI project, the ISFeatureMergeModules table contains only my merge modules, none of the required ones.

As a workaround I may temporarily remove my merge module from the MSI project, then link all the required ones to the correct feature, then link mine again.

Do you have any other ideas?

Regards,

Matthias

Matthias1967

Matthias1967
  • Full Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:59

Things are getting even worse now:

With my workaround, all the required merge modules are listed in the ISFeatureMergeModules table.

After building the MSI, part of the Merge Module components are contained in the correct feature, part of them still are not - this applies expecially to MFC 7.1, VC Runtime 7.1 and VC++ Runtime 7.1!

At the moment, I do not have a clue...

Update:
On one machine (IS12SP2 Premier) it works fine. Required Merge Modules are not shown in the "Setup design" view and not listed in IsFeatureMergeModules, but they are assigned to the correct feature without any workaround.

On another machine (IS12SP2 Pro), it does not work.

Another update:
Some MS Merge Modules (among them the Visual Studio 7.1 Merge modules, see above) have schema 100 and contain lots of empty tables, among them tables HelpFile, HelpFilter, HepNamespace, HelpPlugin. Others have schema 110.

The schema 110 MSMs are merged and linked to the correct features by both IS12SP2Premier and IS12SP2 Pro.

However, when a schema 100 MSM is given as a dependency, IS12SP2Premier and Pro behave differently: Premier merges the modules (including the Help... tables) and links them to the correct features, whereas Pro merges the components, but does not link them to features. Pro also ignores the Help... tables.

BTW: When I open a schema 100 MSM with IS12 (Premier or Pro), go to the Components view and select a component, IS crashes. Strange...

Edited by Matthias1967, 25 November 2009 - 17:40.