This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Starting services

2 replies to this topic

Arve

Arve
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 14:37

We want to install a MS SQL server application (built with .NET), where our server runs a service (beside the SQL service). Our service is supposed to start when the installation has reached the Start Service action in the installation sequence.

The installation also includes a database that is generated during install, and a plugin install, both run as external apps (installed to the TEMP folder and started from the installation). These are run as custom actions, and put in sequence just after the Install Files action (sequence number 4000), while the Start Service action is supposed to start much later (sequence number 5900).

When testing the application the Start Service action always seems to run just after the Install Files action, and before the database is generated. Because of this the service will not run properly.

How can I make sure that our service does not start until the database is generated and the plugins are "plugged in"?

thanks,
Arve

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 18:26

Generate a log file to see what really happens. Is your custom action of type Deferred?

Arve

Arve
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 17:20

I have found the reason. The action was Commit, and made it not work properly. I have now changed it, and it seems to work as it should.

Thanks,
Arve