This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

File is updated under XP but for Vista

2 replies to this topic

ThomasH.mb

ThomasH.mb
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:20

Hello,

with our newest patch one file(dll) is correctly updated on Windows XP machines but not on Windows Vista. Installer on Vista reports, that the file is not the one he needs for update (tmp\5xxxdx.tmp).

Is there a known MSI 4.0 problem?

Any hints?

Thanks

Thomas

ThomasH.mb

ThomasH.mb
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 15:15

Hello,

here is a woraround: the two dlls had the same size, different version tags and are binary different because of other link offsets. We added some bytes to get a different size of the dlls and the patching works now for all operatins systems (for all installers...)

If there is a better (correct) solution, please post it.

Thanks
Thomas

Tonko

Tonko
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 16:43

I can confirm that I had similar problem on Vista while creating small update patches.

First, my EXEs and DLLs had the same version but were different as binaries due to the compiler or linker (does anybody get the same binary when rebuilding unchanged C++ code with Visual Studio, any version?)

My bulld process left the version unchanged between the successive builds.

This resulted in patches logged as applied successfully but updated binaries were simply not installed. However, I was getting warnings that file versions are not different while file binaries are different so I decided to address that.

I changed the version in all of my EXEs and DLLS upon each build, but I changed only the fourth version number, which is sometimes referred to as the build number.

When creating MCP warnings that file versions are not different while the files are different were logged again. However, this time patch application installed new binaries. I could verify that by checking in Explorer Properties tab that installed file versions have indeed changed. This is where my experiences differ from yours - i.e. changing the version, even if only 4th version number, which seems ignored by install tools, helped.

Finally, changing the size of the file avoids warnings about file versions and installer then appears 100% confident that it should install the updated binaries.

Some way to know if a particular file was upgraded or not and if not why not would come in really handy. biggrin.gif

Edited by Tonko, 27 April 2008 - 23:09.