This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Executing commands after reboot screen

3 replies to this topic

Genar

Genar
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 15:45

I have created a .msi installation file successfully. However I need to add the functionality of not having to reboot the system so that the application can run succesfully. In order to reach this purpose the only thing that I need to do is to execute three commands (that is; three exe files included in my application) just after the InstallShield screen which ask if I want to reboot the system.

I am using InstallShield Developer 8 and I have created three "Custom actions" which point to the executables that I want to execute just after the reboot screen appears (or at the end of the installation). In addition I have put these custom actions at the end of:

Behaviour and logic -> Sequences -> Installation -> Execute

However after clicking "No" on the screen which ask me for rebooting I get an "Error 1722" and then and "Error 1603".

Perhaps this is not the most suitable procedure to execute some .exe just after the screen that ask me is I want to reboot the system. Could someone give me his/her opinion? Thanks

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 04:22

Try running a validate on your msi setup.

It looks like the custom action is not set up correctly.

To achieve what you want, you need to have a control event run on the no button for the reboot screen.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 13:06

Does the first exe run (you can replace it with notepad.exe for a test)?
Did you set up your custom actions to ignore the result code from the EXE (anything != 0 will be interpreted as error)

Genar

Genar
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 16:42

Thanks Luke_s and Stephan for your explanations.

Finally I have decided to execute the executable that I want to execute using the function LaunchAppAndWait and calling this function just before the end of the OnEnd function (in the setup.rul file).

The idea is that I had to register some .ocx and .dll and I did not want to restart the system after the instalation. However, even in the case of activating the Self Register check box for these specific .dll's and .ocx's some of them where not registered, so I had to restart the system.

The solution that I have done is to create an .exe whose main functionality is to register these .dll and .ocx and then, at the end of the "OnEnd" function -in the setup.rul- I have called this .exe (that registers dll's and .ocx) using the function LaunchAppAndWait.