This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Runtime configurable merge module

4 replies to this topic

theloon

theloon
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 19:00

We have a requirement for producing a MSI merge module for installing drivers for our suite of dongles.
I understand that MSI is intended for installing Applications and not drivers, and that the recommended way of installing drivers is using .inf files. Problem is the boss, and our biggest customer, either wont hear or wont accept this.

Problem:

During installation the user is asked where the dongle is located (local machine or remote), if remote he is then asked which machine.
A number of other configurable options are also available.

Questions:

Can a merge module be configured by the MSI it's merged into at runtime? Reading the documentation indicates that the configuration is done at merge time causing the install to be very specific.

Can the command line be parsed in the MSI to determine the settings required?

Thanks

Alun Carp
Data Encryption Systems Limited

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 00:03

You can use properties in merge modules, and you can set those properties at runtime. Just remember that usually the module GUID is automatically apended to the property name when you create the merge module.

theloon

theloon
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:50

Are there any examples of this kind of thing in action.

I have loked through the docs, not in depth yet, and the PSDK samples but it doesn't have any examples of merge modules let alone configurable ones.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 12:44

This has nothing to do with "configurable merge modules" (that expression only applies to configuration at merge time, not at runtime).
There are several ways to set a property, like a custom action of type 51, a control event on a push button, or the Property table. Look up Properties in the SDK docs.
After the merge the content of your merge module is integral part of the final .msi file, so its properties can be set in the same way as any other property.

theloon

theloon
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 13:27

OK, I think I understand that. But does anyone know of any Merge Module samples?