This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minor Update and Component Codes

2 replies to this topic

Matthias1967

Matthias1967
  • Full Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:04

Hello,

in the setup I am developing it is necessary that other developers add their files (none of which is an executable) to the MSI package before release, using a self-developed tool.

It is not assured that the file names (or even the number of files to be installed) remain the same from version to version (files are collected by the other developers; I have to regard them as dynamic). So in order to comply with component rules, I create new component GUIDs in every build.

According to my knowledge about update rules, I think the only way to update such an installation is via a major upgrade, involving a new product code, uninstallation, and re-installation, because component GUIDs change from version to version.

Is there any way to get around this and install a new version without having to set a new product code and without having to uninstall?

Best regards

Matthias

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:08

It *sounds* like you're creating new GUIDs for every file. Can you alter the build process to assign GUIDs to only new files added to the project? Would that help?
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Matthias1967

Matthias1967
  • Full Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:29

Handling new files separately might be an option, however I never know whether the other developers withdraw some files that were included in the previous version.

In the legacy version of this setup, a new version simply overwrites the existing files, and there is not even an uninstallation option. However, trying to do this with MSI would leave lots of "out-of use" components, wouldn't it?