This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

update/reinstall/uninstall previous installation

5 replies to this topic

samokok

samokok
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:30

I have to user a new installer to update/reinstall/uninstall previous installation, but they should use different GUID. Could someone give me a advice.Thanks

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 14:51

I don't use maintenance mode, but for my setups, I record the previous component settings and other installation-related information in the Windows registry, so that it's available to be read in by say a future update/reinstall.

For the uninstall aspect, I simply go to the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall area of the registry and look up the UninstallString for the old setup's GUID. Appending the necessary switches on-the-fly to make it silently uninstall.

Hope it helps.
user posted image

samokok

samokok
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 13:10

Thanks, it do help. Now I plan to do silient uninstall before next drop installation. However It cannot run another setup.exe within a setup. Any way to solve this?

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 15:00

Use LaunchAppAndWait to launch the uninstall program.

Also, I forgot to mention before that you need to remove the "RunDll32 " prefix from the contents for the UninstallString.
user posted image

cap1

cap1
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 18:40

QUOTE (Taco Bell @ 2004-06-02 15:00)
Use LaunchAppAndWait to launch the uninstall program.

Also, I forgot to mention before that you need to remove the "RunDll32 " prefix from the contents for the UninstallString.

my uninstallstring looks like this...

RunDll32 C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\engine\6\INTEL3~1\Ctor.dll,LaunchSetup "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{E102644E-5BC3-4E8A-AF5F-A07087C03013}\Setup.exe" -l0x9 UNINSTALL

do i need to remove anything else besides RunDll32 from the UninstallString?

also, what are the switches you mentioned to run silent?

what is this --> -l0x9

thanks

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 23:38

Well this is an old thread, so it took me a moment to get re-acquainted. wink.gif

Now, how much you want to remove/add from the default uninstall string depends exactly what you're trying to do. However, you'd probably want the resulting LaunchAppAndWait program and command variables to be the following respectively:

- PROGRAM VARIABLE: "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{E102644E-5BC3-4E8A-AF5F-A07087C03013}\Setup.exe"
- COMMAND VARIABLE: "-l0x9 UNINSTALL"

However, you can actually use the full string by breaking it down into the following:

- PROGRAM VARIABLE: "RunDll32"
- COMMAND VARIABLE: "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\engine\6\INTEL3~1\Ctor.dll,LaunchSetup "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{E102644E-5BC3-4E8A-AF5F-A07087C03013}\Setup.exe" -l0x9 UNINSTALL"

In either case though, you can append the -s switch to try and perform a silent uninstallation, but I personally have my own technique since I use my own uninstall wizard.

Finally, don't worry about the "l0x9" parameter.

user posted image