This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Using #Include and RUL files

1 reply to this topic

BobRouse

BobRouse
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 16:49

We have a couple different "flavors" of our product, and so I have tried to segregate functions in RUL files accordingly. To get the functions to all work together, I have used a "nesting dolls" approach to the RUL files and the include statement, something like:

Setup.rul
#include AppSpecific.rul

AppSpecific.rul
#include AppGeneric.rul

AppGeneric.rul
#include utilities.rul

The problem is that I must maintain two Setup.rul files, one each with the different App specific rule file include statements. The overlap between the two "flavors" is about 80% (AppSpecific.rul, installed files, and feature names); however, the other 20% that's different is very visible to the end user, such as Program menu shortcuts, feature names, product name, etc.

Is there a better way to do this? It would be nice if I could just use #include statements in the Setup.rul, put them all in there and be done with it, but I can't seem to call a function in another RUL file if it is not further down the "tree". Any suggestions?

Thanks,

dbareis

dbareis
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 October 2001 - 01:29

I use Wise Installer PRO so I don't know what a RUL file looks like however if it is text then you could use a preprocessor to create them.  I have a free one available from "http://www.labyrinth...s/ppwizard.htm"

Bye
Dennis