This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Concurrent Installation

1 reply to this topic

sushobhan

sushobhan
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 22:41

I'm working on a project where I want to concurrently install 3 MSI packages from "source media" or from "inside the package". I have tried as follows-

open InstalShield -> Installation Designer -> Behavior and Logic -> Custom Actions and Sequences

Add a custom action as

right click on Custom Actions New Nested MSI -> "Inside This Package" or "On Source Location"

Now add a Sequence as (Sequences -> Installation -> UI)

right click on CostFilalize -> right click -> insert -> choose the created Action -> ok

but its not working......

The Installation is interrupted and set up can't be completed......

Plz help

Edited by sushobhan, 23 November 2008 - 22:47.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 14:53

First of all you should avoid nested installations, see
http://msdn.microsof...y/aa368010.aspx
Concurrent Installations, also called Nested Installations, is a deprecated feature of the Windows Installer. Applications installed with concurrent installations can eventually fail because they are difficult for customers to service correctly. Do not use concurrent installations to install products that are intended to be released to the public. Concurrent installations can have limited applicability in controlled corporate environments when used to install applications that are not intended for public release. The concurrent installations documentation is provided for package authors that wish to use concurrent installations with applications that are not for public distribution.

It's better to use prerequisites, or chained MSIs if you're using MSI 4.5.

The same help topic also includes the following information:
Concurrent installation actions should be placed between the InstallInitialize action and InstallFinalize action of the main installation's action sequence.