This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Quick Patch!...

3 replies to this topic

Chetan

Chetan
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 15:51

Greetings Friends,

I am using Installshield 2008 Premier Edition. I have already created a Setup and client has installed and using the application (it's a .Net Windows Application)

Now for this setup i want to create a patch, so i tried by creating a Quick Patch; in this i am facing issues. In Quick patch project i drag the files from <b>Original Setup Files</b> and add the existing files to <b>Files To Patch</b> pane, next when clicked on the files in Files To Patch we will see the properties on the right pane where the option is provided to replace the file with new version.

The problem i am facing is when i build the patch first time it will give the error as
Internal Build Error

Again i click on build then the following error will come:
Cannot delete directory c:\Installshield 2008 Projects\Patch\UpdatedImage -5044

Cannot copy source 'C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS2008\Support\QuickPatch.pcp' to target 'C:\Installshield 2008 Projects\Patch\Interm\QuickPatch.pcp' 1183

with these error codes when i tried browsed i couldn't any info

Next i enabled the option

<b>Check this box to have the patch delete this file form the Setup</b>

Then patch will build successfully and when i run the Update.exe file instead of replacing the file with New version, files are getting deleted from the client machine

But when the option <b>Check this box to have the patch delete this file form the Setup</b> is disabled the above two errors are coming...

i am totally lost in patchs

Can anybody help me out please, please....

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:51

I'm not sure about the other errors, but the "cannot delete directory typically means that you have the build output folder open in an Explorer window. Cose the window so that InstallShield can delete and re-create the outfput folder.

Chetan

Chetan
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:41

Greetings Stefan,

Thanks for the reply; actually before building a patch i am closing all the windows but still same errors are coming..

And i have observed a peculiar behavior, when i add dll's the errors will come but when i add any resources files or .chm files the patch will build successfully; and when i run the patch on the client system the older files are getting replaced with newer one thats totally fine.. but why that not happening with dll

my dll version is like (1.0.3709.10) (MajorVersion.MinorVersion.Build.Revision)

the third value that is build indicates week and year (37th week and year 2009)

But for the resources and .chm files there are no versions

Regards

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:06

To diagnose the build error I recommend using Process Monitor from SysInternals which may help to find out if access to a file is denied.

For the update issue: generate a verbose log file ( http://www.msifaq.com/a/1022.htm ). It will list for each file why Windows Installer decided not to overwrite it.