This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Setup Package with NO Files

4 replies to this topic

nrlaing

nrlaing
  • Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 15:59

I know that this is a weird question, and it might not make any sense. Anyway, here goes,

Currently, I've been tasked with creating a silent UNinstallation. I've written installscript that will delete any of the registry entries and files from one of our older installations (InstallShield Universal 10.5).

I don't want to install any files. In fact, the only reason that I'm authoring an install for this UNinstall is to have access to the script engine to launch these script files.

Everything was fine and dandy until I ran the unintallation. Then it failed and notified me that there was a problem with the component table. I started removing Standard Actions from the install execute sequence, but I kept on getting other errors.

So, basically, is there a way that I can launch JUST the installscript's .rul file without installing anything, or leaving any type of a footprint on the target system?

Thanks for the extra set of eyes.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 22:27

Why are you using a "Basic MSI" project if all you need is InstallScript? I think it would be better to use the "InstallScript" project type.

nrlaing

nrlaing
  • Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:57

I need access to the MSI API.

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 14:06

If I understood you correctly, you ran the MSI to remove the old installation, then tried to uninstall this "dummy" MSI, right? I'm also assuming that the MSI has a dummy feature with a dummy component that has no files or other resources assigned to it.

I would think you should be able to do that without removing with any of the standard actions. Could you provide more explanation of the errors you got during uninstall?

You can set up the MSI so it doesn't need to be uninstalled by setting ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT property to "1" so the product doesn't show up in Add/Remove Programs, and conditioning the following standard actions so they don't run: RegisterProduct, RegisterUser, PublishFeatures, PublishProduct. If these four don't run, the product isn't registered as installed. The dummy component will still be registered, but since it has no corresponding product entry, Windows Installer doesn't do anything with it.

Hope this helps.

Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com

nrlaing

nrlaing
  • Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 20:31

Thanks Kathy,
I had already removed those 4 standary actions to make sure that my dummy uninstaller stayed out of the add/remove programs menu. My problem was that the dummy install would error out before it could finish its job.

I found a work-around for anyone else trying to do this. I added a dummy file to my dummy install, and added a dummy condition of 1=2 for the dummy component. Who's the dummy? smile.gif With this in place, the dummy install was allowed to finish properly.