This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgarding problem

1 reply to this topic

doubleo

doubleo
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 18:56

Hi,
I created an upgrade msi package to my application the
problem that I was encountered is that my app uses the regasm tool
to register com objects during the installation of the packege the objects are
registered properly from the global assembly cache folder.
The problem occurs when I am trying to upgrade to a newer version the
installation unregistered all these com objects
I have run the upgrade with a log file and I have noticed that the last
action that was done is unregisteration of all the com objects ...
why is this happaning how can I over come it with running the upgrade?

Thanx Oren

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 22:18

I don't have any experience with this kind of issue. However, I believe what could happen is that you have put RemoveExistingProduct at the end of the execute sequence. This will cause the uninstall of the old product that you are upgrading to be done after the installation of your new product. When the old product is uninstalled it could be that it uninstalls all the COM servers.

To fix this you could have the "unregistering action" performed during the uninstall of the first setup be conditioned with (Not UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE). This property is set if you are doing a major upgrade of your existing installation. Adding the condition just mentioned will ensure that the action is not run during a major upgrade, just during a real, manual uninstall.

If your first setup is already "in the wild" the previous solution won't work. You could then insert an immediate action after RemoveExistingProducts and have this action register the COM components. Doing things this way violates guidelines since you are not supposed to make system changes after InstallFinalize, but sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

Hope this helps, not sure if I am remotely close smile.gif
Regards
-Stein Åsmul