This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Administrator privileges checked too late ?

3 replies to this topic

Maximilien

Maximilien
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 14:26

Using IS6.31 on Win2000 and installing as normal restricted user with a self-extracted package created by IS.

I'm trying to figure out why the Administrator privileges are check too late in our install package!

I've put :
Code Sample

if ( !Is(USER_ADMINISTRATOR, "" ) ) then
 abort;
endif;

in either OnBegin or OnFirstUIBefore, but IS, tries to copy files to c:\program files\Common Files\InstallShield\..  before it even launch the scripts ! and my restricted user can't write there!

Is this normal ? When starting the application as a restricted user, is there a way to prevent the installshield error, or launch IS with "elevated privileges" ?

Thanks
Max.

Maximilien

Maximilien
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 16:14

There's the INFO: Initialization Error Troubleshooting Q104985 knowledge-base article that describe the problem, but besides having IS "crash" when not enough rights when starting the installation, there's nothing more I can do ?
:(
Max.

rags33

rags33
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 April 2002 - 19:56

Hi,

I have the same problem mentioned out here. I have a check in my script to see if the user is an admin or not. I will print a message if the user is not an administrator.

This works on Win NT but on Win 2k it gives me a message
"Install shield could not be launched. Class not registered"

Any help is appriciated

Thanks

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 00:41

I can see this happening.  You've confirmed though that if it's not a packaged install, that you do see your OnBegin code being applied properly?

The only workaround I can suggest is to try using the included PackageForTheWebWizard instead of the default media packager.  Maybe that'll be smarter in dealing with stuff.

Best of luck and let me know how it turns out.

---

By the way, the "elevated" behavior you're referring to is one of the marketed benefits of the Windows Installer.  To use this though you'll need a different installer like Developer 7.

user posted image