This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

"InstallScript MSI" vs. "Basic MSI"

2 replies to this topic

mishka

mishka
  • Full Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:04

Hello guys.

Last time I've checked, in 2003, this forum was strongly against "InstallScript MSI" projects in favor of "Basic MSI".

Here's a link to this discussion: http://forum.install...?showtopic=8734
Following advantages of "Basic MSI" were listed:

1. If you are not using InstallScript for custom actions you will not need to include the InstallScript engine in your setup. The installation of this engine is a frequent source of problems (famous 1607/1608 errors). The need to install the Installscript scripting engine has been eliminated in newer versions of Installshield. I believe scripts now run in a sandbox - sort of like Java - but with its engine included with the MSI. This applies to both Installscript MSI and Basic MSI with Installscript custom actions. This is a big improvement, but Installscript MSI is still discouraged, and Basic MSI recommended.
  2. It is standard and hence better for corporate deployment
  3. It is more light weight than standard
  4. It is less buggy
  5. Easier to debug/maintain and do not have to added complexity of Install Script.
  6. Major upgrade causes system changes to rollback. This issue had a knowledge base entry Q107649, but it seems I can no longer access it without login credentials. I don't know if the issue has been fixed.
  7. Should be used for corporate customers

The only disadvantage of "Basic MSI", as I see it, is a very steep learning curve.

QUESTION: has the situation improved now, 7 years later ?
What type of setup would you recommend now for corporate customers, "Basic MSI" or "InstallScript MSI" ?

Edited by Glytzhkof, 16 August 2014 - 16:44.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:10

It looks like issue number 1. has improved in the meantime, not sure if no. 6. has been fixed. Everything else is still valid I think.

The only disadvantage of "Basic MSI", as I see it, is a very steep learning curve..
I don't see an advantage in InstallScript MSI here. It's still MSI so you need the MSI knowledge. But in addition, you need the InstallScript knowledge.

InstallScript MSI requires that the setup be launched via setup.exe, you can't invoke the .msi file directly. However the latter is ehat group policy deployment uses.

So I still highly prefer "Basic MSI" over "InstallScript MSI" in general, and even more in a corporate deployment scenario.

shlomih

shlomih
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:29

It is standard and hence better for corporate deployment

I don't understand why it is true?

Easier to debug/maintain and do not have to added complexity of Install Script.

To my opinion Installscript is easier to debug and follow the flow of events.