This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install conditions ignored by Windows ME

8 replies to this topic

air

air
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 October 2001 - 09:01

Hi all,

I seem to have a problem when running my installationpackage on a Windows ME system. Some components have condtions as to when they should be installed, for instance depending on the language the user has chosen to install the product.

Now my problem is that Windows ME ignores alle components that have a condition set and does not install any of these components even if the condition is TRUE. What am i doing wrong???????????

can someone help me out on this???

thanks
air

Donald Bristol

Donald Bristol
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 December 2001 - 22:45

What's the components condtions ?

air

air
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 09:54

Hi,

the properties that i have declared recieve certain values depending on the outcome of the InstallScript function. For example one of these properties checks which language the user wants to install, so depending on the chosen language certain components should be installed and others shouldn't. This works on all the other OS's but not with Win ME.

hope you have an answer
thanks
air

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 December 2001 - 12:16

Does it work on 95 or 98? Or just on NT and 2000?
Feature and component conditions are evaluated during CostFinalize, so any properties must already be set at that point. CostFinalize comes before the dialogs, so you can typically not use it for conditions based on user input. (You can use the langauge selection the user made when he launched setup)

air

air
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 11:03

Yes it works on ALL the other Microsoft operating systems!!!

but thanks i will try setting alle the properties befor the dialogs start

regards
air

dkonarska

dkonarska
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2002 - 01:27

I'm having the same problem but with win98.  I ran a log during the installation and found this interesting statement when running on win98.

MSI © (EB:D7): Doing action: CostInitialize
Action start 14:12:11: CostInitialize.
MSI © (EB:D7): Skipping CostInitialize: action already run in this engine.
Action ended 14:12:11: CostInitialize. Return value 0.

When you look at the log from a winNT or 2k machine you get...

MSI (s) (50:6C): Doing action: CostInitialize
Action start 14:19:52: CostInitialize.
Action ended 14:19:52: CostInitialize. Return value 1.

It appears that the msiexec engine for Version9X does not re-evaluate after getting user input.  My product looks at the serial number entered and installs components based on it.  Now I have to write code for those clients that want to use a Version9X OS.  What a pain.

air

air
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 January 2002 - 09:20

Hi

Well I do find all of this quite strange seeing as my installer does seem to work under win98!! However I have not had time to look at this problem any further but i will be doing so quite soon..... I will not be writting a different installroutine just for ME..... I will probably write a program that checks the serialnumber which will than call the installpackage and pass the parameters needed to install the features (components) correctly.

Regards

Alexandra

Rastislav Zima

Rastislav Zima
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 12:33

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as Dough.
CostFinalize action should run also in Execute sequence so I don't see where is the problem especialy when this works fine on Win2000.
Other important difference between my testing systems is that Win98 is German version and Win2000 is English version.
I am using ISD7.0.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 13:36

CostInitialize and CostFinalize only run once on a Windows95/98/me machine. It is not run a second time in execute sequence if it was already run in user interface sequence.