This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Launching/Detecting Maintenance Install From Command Line...

4 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 00:15

Hi all,

I'm wondering what the command line would be to force a Modify install. The situation is this... we conditionally place some components, etc based on the presence of a third party app. What happens at times is that users update our software before they update the third party software. After they update the third party software, they can then run a Maintenance - Modify - "Change" install to place the new pieces.

On the Feature selection dialog box, when running through the UI, the said feature is now marked for installation and all works well.

Note: We support several versions of the third party product, so we can't utilize a launch condition because we have no idea what version they may be using/upgrading from.

I'm just wondering if one can run this maintenance install from the command line, or can you only execute a Repair (reinstall all (that were previously installed)) from cmd.

What compounds the problem is that we have another, native 64 bit installer that launches to do the same thing on that Architecture. What I was hoping to do was, from the placing install - detect that we are running a Modify by hashing out the command line. Set a public property indicating we are Modifying. Pass that to the widget that runs that fires the ancillary installer and run that install in maintenance modify mode as well.

Is there any way to

1) launch a modify from the command line that will place the features now seen as needed
 2) hash out the command line to determine we are in fact in Maint/Mod mode. ?

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:26

Contition your feature/component with 'If Installed'.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 13:13

Per this http://resources.fle...-Conditions.pdfyou can detect a modify install with this condition:

Installed AND NOT REINSTALL AND NOT REMOVE~="ALL"

Not sure why you need to trigger a modify from the command line. Do users have to manually select the features matching the third party component? If you can detect it automatically, maybe component conditions with "re-evaluate" set to true would be sufficient. This would work in a reinstall.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 20:57

Here's the condition I think I will use for the actions I need to run...

Installed AND NOT REMOVE="ALL" AND UILevel<>5

This has to be a silent process as that is what our customers rely on.  I've found that I can simply rerun the install with the same command line used in our update widget...

msiexec /i "<path to our>\application.msi"

What will happen is that we'll add an option to 'Redeploy' our app in our update widget admin tool.  When the update runs on the client machine, it will look for an update or the setting of the Redeploy flag.  If its a redeploy operation, the .msi will be launched, various third party presence PROPERTIES WILL BE SET and an ADDLOCAL widget will be run with the above conditions.

The widget will hash out the PROPERTIES that represent the presence of the third party apps and will then set ADDLOCAL accordingly.

We'll see how this works out.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 19:53

Per this http://resources.fle...-Conditions.pdfyou can detect a modify install with this condition:

Installed AND NOT REINSTALL AND NOT REMOVE~="ALL"

Thanks for that nifty link as well!!