This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Changing Components Destination

6 replies to this topic

srikapat

srikapat
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:40

Hi,

I am migrating InstallShield 5.x project to IS 11.5 InstallScript project. In InstallShield 5.x project , my ex-colleagues have used Component_Field_Destination to change the destination of component at runtime.
However, in IS11.5 , there is no component_field_destination. everything is converted into Feature functions.
I have tried using FeatureSetTarget but it does not change the components destination.
please let me know what is the equivalent of Component_Field_Destination in IS 11.5 InstallScript projects or how to acheive changing the components destination during installation time.

pls reply asap !
srika

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 17:28

FeatureSetTarget looks right. Can you post your code snippet? Are you checking the return value?

srikapat

srikapat
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 00:47

Hi Stefan,

thanks Stefan for the reply.
I have attached a text document with the Code Snippet and brief explanation of what I did.

Please help !

srika

Attached Files

srikapat

srikapat
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 00:54

Hi Stefan,

Sorry Stefan, if the attached text document in my previous reply is not clear .
I am again attaching word document with the brief explanation of what I did.

Pls help !

srika

Attached Files

MrSmersh

MrSmersh
  • Full Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:23

Could you try posting again the text is barely readable and the doc is really garbled.

As far I can see from the txt one you are missing the variable to set.
For example:
FeatureSetTarget(MEDIA, "<INSTALLDIR>", "C:\\RightHere");
Here "<INSTALLDIR>" is the name of the default destination the INSTALLDIR folder (which replaces the TARGETDIR one).
Each feature must have a destination specified. If you want to go to other destination each feature you need to use more variables (you create them in the feature panel destination field). Or if are commonly based use “< INSTALLDIR >\Help” when specifying them in the feature panel (InstallShield will generate the variable for you).
Try it and if you get stuck ask for more info we will be here.

Hope that I did no mistakes in my explanation, if I did Stefan for sure will spot them and point them out.
Also this response is based from what I “decoded” in the txt file, maybe the not garbled version will show a different problem…

srikapat

srikapat
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 00:49

Hi Smersh

Thanks for the reply.
Smersh, i am again attaching the codesnippet with the brief explanation for ur reference.

I have seen the following artcile in the support.installshield.com for InstallScript projects:

http://support.insta...ticleid=Q104964

This artcile seems to be useful but I got stuck when I am trying to chang the destination of some of the windows shared components at runtime. I will be working on this today morning. I will let you know how I go.

Could you also please let me know if there is any other approach for changing the destination of components during runtime.

TIA
srika

Attached Files

srikapat

srikapat
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:13

Hi

Found a way!

Now iam able to change the destination of components during installation time in InstallScript projects.
The link that I gave in the previous reply was very useful.

I hope that link would help others who have similar problem.

thanx
srika