This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error 1723 raised during execution of a custom act

2 replies to this topic

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:48

Hi All,

I have a custom action dll written in C++. The exported functions in this dll are being used in custom actions in one of our installers. From the past several days i have been stuck up with a strange problem. When i include a custom action to copy our custom logging contents created in a temporary file under C:\Windows\Temp to a file in the installed location, the installer throws up a dialog box with the following error: "Error 1723.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run." and aborts the installation. This custom action is included in the install execute sequence as a deferred action and is being executed in a .msp file(patch file).
However i have another custom action in the same sequence right before this problematic custom action which serves the purpose of stopping and starting certain services. If i perform the above file copy operations as part of this custom action, i encounter no problems and the installation proceeds smoothly. I am at loss to understand as to what is wrong with performing the file copy operation as part of a seperate custom action. Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated.

The server environment is IS 11.5 professional edition, windows 2003 Enterprise editon, Windows installer 3.1. The custom action dll is stored in the binary table.

Regards,
Kiran Hegde

Edited by kirann_hegde, 25 April 2007 - 06:53.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:54

Does this particular DLL perhaps import another dll function that is not available on the system in question? (use dependency walker to check this).

Maybe also review Robert Dickau's newsletter article on the subject:
http://www.macrovisi...-for-ipwi.shtml

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 17:41

Are the return processing options set identical for the two custom actions? And do both DLLs return the Success code?