This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patch removing unversioned files

1 reply to this topic

Dave I

Dave I
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 October 2002 - 11:11

Ok, Our installation has been released as a compressed image with a setup.exe.  Firstly, is it possible to patch a compressed image (obviously once its installed.)

We use Visual Sourcesafe, I got my project out and rebuilt the binaries, selected uncompressed and rebuilt the installation.  This is my orginal image.

I copy my original image, change package code, add a new component with a new file under an existing feature and rebuild the installation refering to the original in the patch optimization.  This is my latest image.

I run the patch wizard specifying the latest and orginal and a .msp is created with the single file I have updated (checked in the log.)

If I install the uncompressed image and Apply the patch with REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=omus.  My single file is replaced and all is good.

Now If I install my released compressed image apply the patch unversionned files are removed.  Why is this?  The creation dates in the sources are different but the MSI help says if "neither file has a version" version date should be checked and the later file should be installed, so why on compressed images do the files get removed.

I have deadline approaching and am in desperate need of assisstance here,
Dave

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 11:19

Cross check the component GUIDs between the two projects to make sure they match. Also make sure you use MSI version 2.0, not 1.x