This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Custom file associations?

2 replies to this topic

adamdurling

adamdurling
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 15:35

I want to associate a file extension with the default text editor on the target machine, but I can not find a way of doing this in the file types listed against each component. I don't want to install the text editor, just use the one already installed for the machine. I'll be happy with picking up all the defajults.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about this. I guess I could duplicate the registry entries for .txt files and rename them to my file extention, but I wouldn't know which keys to copy / rename. Pls help.

etippelt

etippelt
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 12:25

Have a look in HKCR at the existing entry for .txt
You will find that it actually points to an entry called txtfile, also under HKCR.

So to add another file association that calls the default .txt editor, I would propose that you create an entry under HKCR, for your file extension, but containing the same entries as the .txt key.

EdT
ERT

dbareis

dbareis
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 02:17

Hi,

I do exactly this but on some (few I think) boxes/users this changes the DEFAULT action for those file types.

Any idea what is happening?

Bye,
Dennis
---
Dennis Bareis (dbareis@No.Spam.gmail.com)
Free MSI update/creation tool (MAKEMSI):
http://users.cyberon...eis/makemsi.htm