This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Elevated Privileges

2 replies to this topic

ItsmeArun

ItsmeArun
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 18:22

Hi
I have joined a domain
I wanted to set elevated privileges for normal users in my computer
I tried 2 options
One by going to group policy and set the elevated privileges
And the other was getting into the registry and set Elevated privileges.
But both the options failed
Am unable to get any of the administrative privileges like sharing or editing registry keys
Any suggestions, plz reply soon
Thanks in advance
ItsmeArun
Arun [br]

AdamBell

AdamBell
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 15:45

Arun,

When you set Elevated Privelages in Group Policy, you have to set it under the Machine policy AND user policy to be effective.

See how that goes.

Cheers

Adam :)

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 13:47

the way i got it to work was to set the elevated privledges for the machine by the registry key:
   [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
and then for the user ( ONLY the CURRENTLY LOGGED IN USER !!!  mind you )
   [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
after that i told the installer service to process this for all users with the ALLUSER=1 optino on the command line.

this can be accomplished by placing the following into a text file and then double-clicking on the text file.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
"AlwaysInstallElevated"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
"AlwaysInstallElevated"=dword:00000001

for Win2000/XP erplace the first line ( REGEDIT4 ) with Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

the command line i used was     MSIEXEC /I{MSIName} /l*v MSI_InstLog.TXT /qn ALLUSERS=1

now if it is someone other then the current user who will be getting the app in a 'to be installed state' then you will need to perform a run once type operation on the HKCU info. or you will need to process the NTUser.DATs and NTUser.MAN files to include the info into the other user hives ( or set with gpo )