This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error handling in the execute sequence

1 reply to this topic

fredrik.strom

fredrik.strom
  • Full Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:37

Hi

I'm trying to enable my Basic MSI installation to run in silent mode. While doing this i'm trying to move some functionality from the UI sequence in into the execute sequence.
But i still want the possibility to stop the install if some part of the installation fails. Is it possible to report errors from the execute sequence and possibly display an dialog?

Regards F

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 17:26

Use the 'Error' custom action (type 19), which sends the message to the appropriate consumer (screen, log file, event log etc.).
Don't generate your own message boxes. When a system admin wants to roll out your software over one thousand computers, the last thing he wants to do is visit these computers to see if a messagebox appeared - it defeats the purpose of an unattended installation.

If you want to generate the messages from your own custom actions, use the MsiProcessMessage API, which only shows the message when Setup isn't silent.